saintmarysbyzantine.org – 411 Power Street – (814) 535-4132
Dedicated to Our Lady of the Patronage, St. Mary Byzantine Catholic Church in Johnstown was founded on October 7, 1895, by Father Hilarion Dzubay. The cornerstone of the first church was blessed on October 13.
The church soon proved to be too small to accommodate the growing parish, and a larger church was built in 1901. By 1918 the second church again became too small. Plans were begun for the construction of a much larger church seating 900 worshippers. It was modeled on the ancient church of Hagia Sofia in Constantinople. The present church was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1922.
As the congregation continued to grow, a convent building was acquired and a parochial school opened in September of 1938 under the guidance of the Sisters of the Order of St. Basil the Great. St. Mary School continued for 54 years before closing in 1993. In 1961 a new school building, auditorium and rectory were constructed.
The parish of St. Mary, along with its great accomplishments, has endured many trials and sufferings including two devastating floods in Johnstown in 1936 and again in 1977. Despite these challenges, the parish continues to prosper in its loyalty to the Church, to their Byzantine Catholic heritage, and in its deep love and faith in Almighty God.
Divine Liturgy: Sundays ~ 10 AM & Saturdays ~ 4 PM
Confession: Saturdays ~ 3 PM
©2019. Stella Property Development and Event Production. All Rights Reserved.